Are you looking to boost your sales and retain loyal customers? Setting up a subscription service on Shopify might just be the solution you’re seeking.
In this article, we will guide you through the process of how to set up subscriptions on Shopify, helping you leverage this powerful model to drive revenue and customer satisfaction.
Whether you’re a small business owner or a seasoned professional, this comprehensive guide will provide you with the knowledge and tools you need to succeed.
What Is a Shopify Subscription Model?
Before we dive into the specifications and complexities of how to set up subscriptions on Shopify, let’s start by understanding what a Shopify subscription model entails. In simple terms, it allows you to offer your customers the option to subscribe to your products or services on a recurring basis.
This means that instead of making one-time purchases, customers can sign up to receive your offerings at regular intervals, such as monthly, quarterly, or annually.
The subscription model brings convenience to customers and provides businesses with a steady and predictable revenue stream.
What Makes Shopify the Right Platform for Subscriptions?
You may be wondering why Shopify is the ideal platform for setting up subscriptions. Well, here are three compelling reasons:
- Customers Kept Happy: Shopify offers a seamless user experience for both merchants and customers. With its intuitive interface and easy-to-navigate store setup, customers can manage their subscriptions effortlessly. They can make changes to their subscription preferences, update payment details, and even skip or cancel subscriptions with just a few clicks. This level of flexibility and control fosters customer satisfaction and enhances their overall shopping experience.
- Predictable Revenue: As a business owner, having a steady and predictable revenue stream is crucial for long-term success. By implementing the subscription model on Shopify, you can anticipate recurring sales from loyal subscribers. This stability allows you to plan your inventory, marketing campaigns, and business expansion more effectively, reducing the uncertainties often associated with traditional sales models.
- Shipping Made Easy: Shipping products to subscribers can sometimes be a logistical challenge. However, Shopify simplifies this process with its built-in shipping features and integrations. You can set up automated shipping rates, create custom shipping rules, and streamline your fulfillment operations. This ensures that your subscribers receive their products on time, enhancing their satisfaction and loyalty.
Shopify’s Most Common Subscription Categories
Subscriptions are applicable to a wide range of industries and products. Here are 10 most common categories where the Shopify payment subscription model thrives:
- Health and Beauty: Skincare, beauty products, supplements.
- Fashion and Apparel: Clothing, accessories, subscription boxes.
- Food and Beverage: Meal kits, coffee, snacks.
- Home and Lifestyle: Home decor, candles, subscription boxes.
- Pet Supplies: Pet food, toys, grooming products.
- Books and Magazines: Book clubs, magazine subscriptions.
- Fitness and Wellness: Workout equipment, subscription services.
- Digital Products: Software licenses, online courses, digital memberships.
- Art and Crafts: Art supplies, craft kits, subscription boxes.
- Personal Care: Shaving products, dental hygiene, grooming kits.
Shopify Subscription Plans
Now that you understand the benefits of the Shopify subscription model and its application across various industries, let’s explore the actual Shopify subscription plans. Here are the available plans as of 2023:
- Basic Shopify ($29/month): Ideal for small businesses getting started with subscriptions, offering basic features and support.
- Shopify ($79/month): Suitable for growing businesses with additional features, including professional reports and abandoned cart recovery.
- Advanced Shopify ($299/month): Designed for businesses with high-volume sales, offering advanced reporting and third-party calculated shipping rates.
- Shopify Plus (Custom Pricing): Geared towards enterprise-level businesses with complex needs, providing advanced features, dedicated support, and custom solutions.
How to Set up Subscriptions on Shopify Quickly for Any Product
Now, let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of how to set up subscriptions on Shopify. Follow these steps to enable subscriptions for your products in no time:
Prepare your subscription product
Determine which of your products are suitable for subscriptions and ensure they are properly set up in your online Shopify store.
Check your eligibility requirements
Before proceeding, verify that your chosen payment gateways support subscriptions. Popular options include PayPal Express, Shopify Payments, and Stripe. Ensure you have the necessary accounts and integrations set up.
Install a subscription app
Shopify offers various subscription apps that integrate seamlessly with your online store. Consider options like Yotpo Subscriptions or Appstle, which provide comprehensive subscription management features.
Check your widget
Configure the subscription widget provided by your chosen Shopify App to align with your store’s design and branding. Customize it to display relevant subscription details, pricing, and intervals clearly to potential subscribers.
How to Set up a Monthly Payment Subscription on Shopify Website
If you’re specifically interested in how to set up subscriptions on Shopify monthly on your Shopify store, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel and navigate to the “Products” section.
- Select the product you want to offer as a subscription and click on its title.
- In the product’s settings, scroll down to the “Variants” section and click “Edit” next to the variant you want to use for the subscription.
- Under “Pricing,” select “Charge a recurring fee” and set the frequency to “Every month.”
- Save your changes, and your product is now available as a monthly subscription on your Shopify website.
How to set up subscriptions on Shopify?
To create a subscription plan on Shopify, you can utilize a subscription app that integrates with your store. These apps provide user-friendly interfaces to set up and manage your subscription plans effectively.
How Do I Set Up a Newsletter Subscription on Shopify?
Setting up a newsletter subscription on Shopify is simple. You can use Shopify’s built-in email marketing features or integrate with popular email marketing services like Mailchimp or Klaviyo. Create a signup form and embed it on your store to collect subscribers’ email addresses.
Can I charge subscriptions on Shopify?
Absolutely! Shopify offers native support for recurring billing and subscriptions. By enabling a subscription app or using Shopify’s built-in features, you can charge your customers for subscriptions on a recurring basis.
How to start a Shopify subscription box business?
Starting a subscription box business on Shopify involves selecting your niche, sourcing or creating products, setting up a subscription app, and promoting your offering to attract subscribers. With Shopify’s robust platform, you have the tools you need to launch and grow your subscription box business successfully.
Can you sell digital subscriptions on Shopify?
Yes, Shopify provides options to sell digital subscriptions. Whether you offer software licenses, online courses, or digital memberships, you can set up recurring payments and provide access to digital content through your Shopify store.
In a nutshell, how to set up subscriptions on Shopify is fully explained with step by step guide. Setting up subscriptions on Shopify opens up a world of opportunities to boost your sales, retain customers, and create a predictable revenue stream.
Whether you’re offering a monthly subscription or digital subscriptions, Shopify provides the tools and support you need to succeed in the subscription economy of 2023. So, take the leap, set up your subscriptions, and watch your sales soar to new heights.